Monday 24 September 2012

GROWING IN GOD–PART 1














I have met a lot of people who find it very difficult to study their bibles and get knowledge,they get so thrilled when they see others teach the word of God with so much clarity,but I would like share with you how you can build and develop a study life and grow in your knowledge of Jesus Christ.


MY EXPERIENCE
I remember a few years ago,I had been saved for just a short while and my knowledge of Christ was still small,but I was on fire for him,I met this young man who caused a revolution in my study life,I paid him a visit and discovered he had quite a number of bibles and he shared with me,how much he invests in the purchase of bibles,he has different translations,I was so challenged,he didn't look like someone who had that much and studied much,but that experience with him revolutionized my life.
I made up my mind to get a Dakes bible,which I did with the allowance my parents sent to me for feeding in school,then it cost much,I didn't know how I was going to live but I trusted God to take care of me and he did,two weeks later my father sent me extra money miraculously,but my life changed forever,.
I would like to share very simple ways how you can build a life of study of the word.


DESIRE IT
Your desire is like a fuel for your passion,when I got saved I realize my passion for God was fired up,I wanted to know him more and more,and that desire was put in me by the presence of the holy spirit,the desire for other things reduced and the desire for the word of God increased.This is a sign of a man that has truly received Jesus,his passion is for the word,you are drawn to the word of God,you just want to know him.
The bible says "as new born babes desire the sincere milk of the word of God,so you can grow thereby",without the desire for the word,you will not search it and this will reduce your growth in God,the word is the food you need to grow spiritually.1 Peter 2:2


ASSOCIATION
Your association is so important,especially when you just got saved its important you stay around folks who are on fire for God,these kinds of associations will help develop and grow your desire.When I got save I was blessed to fellowship around brothers and sisters who were on fire for God and they helped me grow.
The bible says “.Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.” Proverbs 27:17.
 Stay around folks that stir your passion for God,those who will stir your passion for the word and prayer.You cannot grow spiritually beyond those you spend time with.


FELLOWSHIP WITH THE BRETHREN
I hear people say that you don't have to belong to a church and be a part of an activity group,that you can have church at home,I never recommend church on the web for a matured or a baby Christian,I believe that your physical presence in a bible believing church is important,your growth is dependent on the kind of church you attend.So its important you belong to a church were you are taught and you participate and not just are a bench warmer.
I remember when I and my elder brother got saved,we searched for a church and it took us sometime but we found one and became a part of it,and we grew quicker,we became friends with some folks that helped us to grow and I cannot forget that year,it was revolutionary,so attend a bible believing church.
“Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching” Hebrews 10:25



GET A FULL BIBLE
The first book you want to get after the salvation experience is a bible,you cannot grow and know god without a bible,the bible contains the word of God that will cause you to grow.I would recommend that you get a king James bible,the original king James bible and for the purpose of study I also suggest that other translations like the new international version,the amplified version,the living bible version or translation and the new king James version are just okay for starters.


START READING IT
We sometimes hurry into trying to understand,the bible never said try to understand the word of God,it said that the holy spirit who is the spirit of truth will teach you,so its his job to teach.so I recommend that you start reading the bible,read the new testament,the gospels and the letters of Paul,just read and as you do that understanding will start to come,don't fight it,just let it flow,
John 14:26.

Also as you read,mark out those verses that strike you as important and take note of them or bookmark them if it's a computer bible,and go back to think on them again and again.


STUDY THE WORD
In studying, to aid you as a young Christian,get a devotional and there are loads of devotional out there,you can study with the aid of devotionals because they teach topic by topic and religiously use them in your quiet time to study.make a habit of studying the word daily and keep to your time and place,this would help you better.


PICK OUT A TIME TO STUDY DAILY
Most successful men today,became successful from a routine,you must make a routine of studying the word of God,take out a minimum of 30 minutes to meditate on the word of God,pick a place and time,where you can concentrate,in that you need a quiet place,with no distractions,phones off,TV off and anything that would distract you.
I remember that one of the times that changed my life was one holiday I had years ago,I had just my bible that had no reference and concordance and my oxford dictionary and a writing note ,I would spend hours studying the word,I was alone at home and no noise except good gospel music,that aided my study.
Most of the things I learned in that period,today stands as a foundation for my Christian life,I was from the orthodox background and most of what I know,the holy spirit taught me,but I had to create the place and the time.


GET A DICTIONARY AND A WRITING NOTE
Its so important that you get a dictionary,I mean a normal dictionary,because as you study you will find words that you don't understand,and your dictionary will help you find the literal meaning of each word,that would help you understand the text,you are reading.
Also get a writing note or diary,so you can make notes of important points for reference purposes and also like I had earlier said,book mark important verses,and make references on your bible so that it will be easy for you to remember other verses that relates.


ASK QUESTIONS
As you study you might find verses that you can't understand,mark it out and write a question in your note,talk to your pastor or your bible study leader or a friend who you can reason it out with,this is why you should have a click of friends who are on fire for God to always discourse issues as they border you.
Questions are vital for knowledge;At the age of twelve Jesus was found asking questions and  listening, giving answers but he asked questions,a man who wants to learn asks questions.Luke 2:46-47


PRAY BEFORE YOU START TO STUDY
You cannot understand the word of God without prayer,prayer and worship puts you in the atmosphere for study of the word.so its important you spend sometime to just pray and and worship and allow his holy spirit to just flow in the atmosphere,this will put your mind in the right frame for the study of the word.
“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” 2Timothy 2:15.
It is our responsibility to create the place and time and it is Gods responsibility to teach you by his spirit,so do your part,he will be there in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment